The Irish Animation Awards held their second annual awards ceremony at Animation Dingle over the weekend.
Tomm Moore and Cartoon Saloon took home the big prize of Best Irish Feature Film or Special for their wonderful (and Oscar-nominated) Song of the Sea. JAM Media’s Roy took home two prizes, the coveted Kids Choice Award for Best Animated Series and Best Writer for an Animated Series for Mark Hodkinson. Little Roy similarly received two awards, nabbing Best Director and Best Animation for Apps and Gaming.
Vincent Gallagher’s multi-award-winning Second to None continued to clean up, taking home the award for Best Animated Short Film.
The robust health of the Irish animation indistry was evident in force, with awards being sent to the various different animation studios around the country, for titles as differing as Sixteen South’s Lily’s Driftwood Bay, Boulder Media’s Danger Mouse, Boulder and Giant Animations’ Go Jetters, Cartoon Saloon’s Puffin Rock, Brown Bag Films’ Doc McStuffins, and Wiggleywoo’s The Day Henry Met…
Legendary Irish animation figure, Aidan Hickey, was the recipeient of the prestigious Murakami Award, an award gifted for service to the industry.
The Irish Animation Awards was created to acknowledge and celebrate the outstanding creative talent we have within the Irish Animation, VFX and gaming.
The IAA note that there was a significant increase in entries since the first Irish Animation Awards, reflecting the substantial growth in the industry.
Best Animated Preschool Series (up to 6 years)
- Lily’s Driftwood Bay – Sixteen South Production Team
Kids Choice Award for Best Animated Series
- Roy – JAM Media Production team
Best Animated Short Film
- Second to None – Vincent Gallagher
Best Writer for Preschool Animation (up to 6 years)
- Doc McStuffins: Welcome to McStuffinsville – Chris Nee, Kent Redeker
Best Writer for an Animated Series
- Roy: ROY 2.0 – Mark Hodkinson
Best VFX as part of Animated TV Series or Film
- Go Jetters – Rob Fletcher, Mario Bortas, Rodrigo Rocha
Best Animation for Apps and Gaming
- Little Roy’s Wonder Doodler – Niall Mooney: Director, Will Wivell: Animator
- Devine Intervention
Best Design / Art Direction
- Puffin Rock – Lily Bernard, Stefano Scapolan
Best Director of an Animated TV Series
- Little Roy – Alan Shannon
- The Day Henry Met a Camera – Gilly: Director, Susan Broe: Producer, Andrew Dawson: Animation Director
Best Music/Sound Design
- Danger Mouse – Dominic Lawrence: Supervising Sound Editor & Dubbing Mixer, Sol OCarroll: Sound Editor, Andy Kirwan: Sound Editor
Best Irish Feature Film or Special
- Song of the Sea – Tomm Moore
- Aidan Hickey